For my family, friends, business associates and all combinations

If you meant to come to the blog for Harry Andronis, you're in the right place. If not, welcome anyway. Since the beginning of my back problems in 2007 I have received calls, e-mails and letters of support. I have been given help from around the world. I am amazingly lucky to have such caring and loving people in my life. I cannot begin to tell you how much strength and drive it has given me. While the back surgery in February 2008 worked like a charm, it turned out to be the least of my problems. Continuing weakness in my legs and hands after the surgery led to the diagnosis of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) in May of this year.

Due to the progressive nature of the illness I am finding it more and more difficult, physically, to type on a keyboard or talk on the phone. Hence, this blog. I will try to update on a semi-regular basis. I do not want to discourage contact. It is just becoming harder to always respond in a timely fashion. As you might imagine, some days are better than others. I'm not sure what I want to say or talk about. At times there may be more detail than you'd like but we'll see. I hope you'll follow along, send the good vibes, have a look at the gallery and the people or things in it, maybe leave a comment and keep those calls and letters coming.

I do want to acknowledge the unwavering support from my giant core of family/friends. You know who you are. I can never thank you for all that came before and now, or tell you enough what you mean to me......... forever.

By the way, read nothing into the color of the page. I like black. One of my favorite Zappa pieces is "The Black Page". Besides, "How much more black can it be? None... none more black." - Nigel Tufnell, 1980

Onward and upward..... h

Monday, December 1, 2008

Pasticho




Pastitcho and more pastitcho. It must be Thanksgiving… and boy, do I have alot to be thankful for, not the least of which are my family, friends and even some strangers who have done everything to keep me from sinking into desperation over this turn in my life. For all of you, I give thanks. There are times I feel I should be more freaked out than I am, but I’m not. Go figure…

I currently have my niece, Mary, here. She’s in from her studies in Ecuador. She and my friend, Shelley, made the pasticho this year. They did beautifully, as you can see. With Bev not up to her usual energy, the Callens house was the site for our Thanksgiving dinner this year. A tent in the yard and more food than the 3rd Marine Brigade can eat, it was, as always, a culinary delight. It was the 29th Turkey Day for me, Bev, CK and Shelley. Oh……….. and I won the first quarter football pool. Who could ask for anything more?

On the medical side, things are moving along. I continue to lose strength in my legs and hands. I can still transfer from place to place but with a bit more difficulty. I went to the Cedar-Sinai ALS clinic. They’re a little warmer/fuzzier than UCLA but just as vague. At this point it seems to be about management of the disease more than anything. I read everything I can so when I get there, there’s not a whole lot they tell me that I don’t already know about. But, they check vitals and run reflex and strength tests while the various techs come through and give their input (speech therapist, pulmonary, physical and occupational therapist, etc.). In the end, I’m exhausted and still wonder what else to do. There is still nothing medical that really seems to help. From stem cells to Lithium to bone marrow, they all have questionable outcomes. For now, I let it run its course.

The holidays approach. My brother, Christ, is coming from Christmas Eve to New Years Eve. A number of other outtatowners will be here visiting family and friends around then so, I will get to see most of them. Before you know it, it’ll be another new year. I WILL be done with this one. As will Bev. She is holding up well. Her cancer markers are going down and she remains strong. Thank you for the prayers and good vibes sent both our ways. They do mean a lot.

Well, that’s it for now. I will really try to be more diligent and timely with updates. Until then, I thank you for your love and support……… h

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Harry-

I am here with Alex- he says hello! Toni and Cathy said they had a wonderful time with you. We do pray for your strength every night. Alex smiles every time he goes to your site and looks :D

Cousin Dean

Uncle Harry i love you

Alex

Anonymous said...

Hey Harry, I finally figuered out where to post comments!! I hope all is well, we are thinking of you all the time - especially now since it is so cold and snowy, we wish you were here to partake in this wonderful snowy weather (insert sarcasm). We periodically review your blog, so keep the updates comming since the phone is hard for you sometimes. God Bless ... Mike, Mary, Chris and Louie (Bradaric family).